E-portfolio Competition on Discipline-Specific English
- To raise the awareness of differences between discipline-specific English and general academic English
- To cultivate the ‘learning from peers’ culture among students
ALL students from the Education University of Hong Kong
Participation award: Each participant will receive a merit certificate for joining the competition.
Prizes for best e-portfolios: The best e-portfolios will be awarded certificates and special prizes. There will be a 1st prize (15 iWork hours HKD1005), a 2nd prize (12 iWork hours HKD804), and a 3rd prize (9 iWork hours HKD603).
*The e-portfolio has to meet the requirements (see instructions below).
- Create an e-portfolio with Google Sites or Sway.
- Write a review (at least 200 words) explaining how you develop discipline-specific English through various means (e.g., printed resources: journals, books, dictionaries; e-resources: language learning mobile app/language learning website/social media/online videos/online news/online radio/podcasts/corpus, etc.).
- Write a personal reflection (at least 200 words) on how these resources enhance your learning of discipline-specific English.
- Provide a written assignment from one of your core courses as an example to illustrate how you incorporate discipline-specific English into your writing.
- Use English to write the review and the reflection.
E-portfolio samples: Sample 1 Sample 2 Sample 3
How to participate
You may click this link to register for the competition by 30 April 2022.
A confirmation email will be sent to you after you have registered for the competition.
Deadline for submission: 31 July 2022 (EXTENDED!)
Share your e-portfolio link with Ms Chan Ching Hang Justine at email@example.com or 2948 7905. The e-portfolios will be shared on this website later.
The e-portfolios will be assessed against the following four areas: CONTENT, LAYOUT, ORGANIZATION and LANGUAGE.
Initial grading: Dr. Rebecca Chen (Principal Project Supervisor), Ms. Blanche Chu (Principal Project Supervisor) and Dr. James Fong of CLE (Project Area Coordinator)
Endorsement: Other Co-supervisors of the project
Announcement of Results
End of August 2022